Sunday, August 21, 2011

Biking & Poems


For the past three+ weeks I have been waking up at 5:30 a.m. to ride my bike and start exercising, training, and getting some good endorphins as my daddy would say :)

It has been so rewarding, and I especially enjoy watching out the back window as the sun rises over the mountain as I'm riding. Plus, I'm getting exercise, and it's FUN!! I'm loving it so much, and I'm so happy with it I think I'll continue.



I always knew I was meant for biking. It's the greatest. Besides, more time for me and my brother and dad, and, well, the rest of the family really, to bond. We're a biking family. It's called the Cloward Family Biking Club, and I am now officially part of it's amazingness.

So anyways, last week when I was watching the sun rise as usual, I had this inspiration for a little poem/sonnet thingy-ma-bob that doesn't rhyme. So I wrote it down, just a little rough copy of an idea, and it actually turned out well.

I could polish it if I wanted to of course, but for now I think I'm just going to relish in the first draft, the natural state of the writing as I imagined it. I have to say, I'm really proud of it. So here it is folks, the first ever shared work of the future celebrity writer, Melissa Joy Cloward.





Watching the Sunrise

You can tell the clouds are about to present something utterly wonderful to the world as they turn a brightish orange-pink.
They are working out where it will be when it appears, to give warmth and life to the night-scarred planet.
It must be exact, as it has been rising in the same spot since it was in existence along with our beloved Earth
…at that self-same position, precisely over the mountain which is plain as day from my house.
Waiting for the glorious moment is as anticlimax as it gets. When is the Sun supposed to rise exactly?
You can’t remember...
But as you contemplate, something brilliant is happening to the sky.
The clouds are preparing for the main event, and they slowly part, to endow the sun’s grace upon the self-destructing Earth.
It isn’t a sudden movement, but rather a slow, deliberate struggle between shadow, light, and sky.
You are watching in continual awe as each irregular fluctuation of the clouds results in more and more color change, until you think you have seen every tint, tone, shade, and hue to possibly be created by any palette.

There are streaks of pink, orange, blue, purple; fighting for their turn in the limelight as they blast across the sky, mixing and churning into gentle colors of blush.
But despite this, they are not the main event.
Their glory is short-lived as the clouds are now completely apart, bolts of pink and orange, velvet curtains spread wide to give heed to the moment of climax.
The Sun is much higher in the sky now, plump with purpose. It’s time has come to change the dark to light, to morning from night.
It watches from above where life is starting to stir, and the warmth is becoming comfortable once again.
The dew is taking its final sparkling breath before plunging back into the cold earth, where it will be until tomorrow night.  
Life is waking up, and preparing again for a clear, fresh morning.
It’s a calculated, golden dance between sky and earth to create a cacophony of light which now emanates everywhere, characteristically driving the shadows backstage.
Now the trees are stretching their limbs from a long night’s slumber and rustling their branches to wake up the dreaming birds.
In no time at all, they are rubbing their needle-y noses and beginning to chirp to the thawing baby plants. 
The Sun will awaken the whole planet with her charms, and continue to steadily warm the Earth for the new day, a new adventure. 



She is ready now for her daily journey across the sky
.


No comments:

Post a Comment